See how Career Values relate to the Online Bachelor’s Degree Program at Harrisburg University.
- Community: To be deeply involved with a group that has a larger purpose beyond one’s self.
Central to Harrisburg University’s mission is to link education to business needs in the region. Long before we accepted a single application, senior management met with more than 100 chief executive officers from companies throughout the Commonwealth to determine their workforce needs. Based on the answers the university designed its curriculum.
- Creativity: To be innovative. To create new and better ways of doing things.
Harrisburg University offers Adult Degree Programs in BS Management in eBusiness in Digital marketing and Business Analytics where students will create, design, and invent new and innovative ways to reach consumers and revolutionize the way we do business.
- Enjoyment: To like what I do and have fun doing it.
According to collegeboard.org A study in 2008 revealed about 58% of college graduates and individuals with some college education or an associate degree reported being very satisfied with their jobs. Additionally, 44% of those who reported being very satisfied with their jobs also reported being very happy (National Opinion Research Center, 1972–2008; calculations by the authors).
- Expertness: To become a known and respected authority in what I do.
The Adult Degree Program courses are pragmatic and experiential. Your instructors include respected leaders from the business community and what you learn in class tonight you can use in your job the very next day! By the time you complete your coursework, you’ll be ready to help your company achieve its goals by making better decisions based on compelling evidence you are able to provide.
- Family: To have time with family.
Establish a healthy balance between career, academics, and family. You can study at your own pace with the Adult Learning Program. Want to finish ASAP? Take two accelerated courses during each seven-week session. Want a more leisurely pace? Take fewer courses and even skip a session if need be. It’s all about your convenience. Choose between online or blended courses that include face-to-face learning, you’ll meet in the evening, on weekends, or through the Moodle system that brings everyone together online.
- Friendship: To work with people I respect and to be respected by them.
One of the special strengths of Harrisburg University and the Adult Degree Program is our ability to partner with local businesses leaders who have skillfully developed experiential learning opportunities that include internships with networking opportunities in the heart of the Capitol region.
- Health: To be physically and mentally fit.
According to The National Bureau of Economic Research, “An additional four years of education lowers five-year mortality by 1.8 percentage points; it also reduces the risk of heart disease by 2.16 percentage points, and the risk of diabetes by 1.3 percentage points.”
- Independence: To have the freedom of thought and action. To be able to act in terms of my own time schedules and priorities.
Courses in the Adult Degree Program are offered online and also in a blended format. Most classes are 100% online, but no classes are 100% in the classroom. We use Moodle and Adobe Connect learning management systems to remotely connect students and faculty online.
- Integrity: To live and work in compliance with my personal moral standards.
In the United States, there are six regional accrediting agencies that each cover a different section of the country. Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 3324 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. The Middle States Commission on Higher Education is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
- Leadership: To motivate and energize other people. To feel responsible for identifying and accomplishing needed group tasks.
One of the special strengths of Harrisburg University and the Adult Degree Program is our ability to partner with local business leaders to develop cutting edge curricula that focuses on critical skills most vital to workplace success. Industry leaders helped to design the university’s course curriculum and participate as corporate faculty and program advisory members. Active working professionals from the business world also lead each class. You become the best by learning from the best!
- Location: To be able to live where I want to live and/ or in close proximity to where I work.
Capital location puts you within easy access to major cities in the Mid-Atlantic region but all you have to do is open your laptop and you have access to the Adult Degree Program classroom wherever you are.
- Loyalty: To be committed to the people, mission, and vision an organization and/ or leader.
When you become a student of HU you become part of a greater mission and vision to improve the community and industry of our region. Our University President Eric Darr states, “While Harrisburg University has focused on providing STEM-oriented education in a traditional four-year program, venturing into the new market of adult undergraduate degrees is part of the university’s strategic plan to become more involved in cultivating skilled professionals in Pennsylvania and beyond – no matter what stage they might be at in life.”
- Personal Accomplishment: To achieve significant goals. To be involved in undertakings I believe personally are significant – whether or not they bring me recognition from others.
You may be the first person in your family to graduate from college or you may come from a long line of graduates. Regardless, knowing you earned your degree will certainly give a lifetime of pride to yourself and your family.
- Personal Development: To learn and do challenging work that will help me grow, that will allow me to utilize my best talents and mature as a human being.
Harrisburg University believes strongly that a well-rounded college education should equip students in eight core competencies. Embedded throughout the Adult Degree Program curriculum are collaborative and individual lessons that will strengthen your ability in eight key areas: Critical Thinking, Communication, Teamwork and Collaboration, Entrepreneurship, Information Literacy, Ethical Decision Making, Global Awareness, and Civic Engagement.
- Power: To have the authority to approve or disapprove proposed courses of action. To make assignments and control allocation of people and resources.
Knowledge is power. The professional college education you’ll receive through HU’s Adult Degree Program is practical and focused on providing knowledge you can use right away to advance your career. We believe by offering the program in an accelerated and blended delivery format, we make earning a bachelor’s degree a highly attainable goal for adults wanting to broaden their career possibilities and enhance their educational credentials.
- Prestige: To be seen by others as successful. To become well known. To obtain recognition and status in my chosen field.
Our curriculum is based on what industry leaders need and desire. See some of our testimonials from industry leaders such as: JPL, Steinman Communications, Wildfig, and Alcoa.
- Financial Security: To have a steady income that fully meets my family’s basic needs.
According to the U.S. Department of Labor Employment and Training Administration, careers in business analytics and digital marketing have a bright outlook which means they are expected to grow rapidly in the next several years, will have large numbers of job openings, or are new and emerging occupations.
- Service: To contribute to the well-being and satisfaction of others. To help people who need help and improve society.
As an HU student you will be able to regularly participate in community events and will have many opportunities to give back. HU is also proud to support our veterans by participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program.
- Time: To have freedom and flexibility in my daily schedule for leisure time.
You can study at your own pace with the Adult Learning Program. Want to finish ASAP? Take two accelerated courses during each seven-week session. Want a more leisurely pace? Take fewer courses and/or choose a 100% online format. It’s all about your convenience. For those blended courses that include face-to-face learning, you’ll meet in the evening, on weekends, or through the Moodle system that brings everyone together online.
- Wisdom: To grow in understanding of myself, my personal calling, and life’s real purpose. To find lasting meaning in what I do.
The professional college education you’ll receive through HU’s Adult Degree Program is practical and focused on providing knowledge you can use right away to advance your career. Your degree program will include opportunities to work independently and collaboratively with your instructors and classmates on projects that ensure you not only understand theories but also can apply them to real-world challenges.